The vegetarian Kohlrabi Stew with cheese is a great German vegetarian dish. Kohlrabi is a popular vegetable in Germany especially during the winter months. I found it on farmers markets and local produce stores. Kohlrabi can be enjoyed raw as well but it is a great ingredient for vegetable soups and stews. For this recipe the kohlrabi will be baked with cheese at the end, you could also call the recipe “Kohlrabi gratin”. Happy Cooking!
1 small onion
1 tbsp clarified butter
2-3 tbsp broth, instant
1 tsp flour
salt, white pepper, sugar to taste
2 tbsp heavy cream
– wash, peel kohlrabi and cut in small stripes.
– peel onion and chop fine.
– make broth per instructions.
– saute onions in clarified butter until transparent, add kohlrabi, saute for 1 minute then add the broth.
– saute for 15 min.
– mix flour with some water, add to vegetable.
– peel potatoes, cut in slices, add to vegetable.
– spice to taste.
– pre-heat oven to 390 F (200C).
– place the vegetable in a fire proof form, tomato slices on top.
– mix heavy cream with egg and cheese, pour over veggies.
– gratin in oven for some minutes.
– sprinkle with chopped parsley.