Today learn about the way how we make sandwiches and try out the German snack tuna egg sandwich. The German way is to take a slice of bread and add whatever you like on top. But the bread or roll is always buttered. There is no sandwich without a thin layer of butter.
In some regions of Germany they would call such a sandwich “Stulle”, or “Butterbrot”, or “belegtes Brot”. That’s how it is on the menus. You would not add another slice of bread on top of it. It is like the Danish way to decorate their bread. But in this recipe let’s call it “sandwich” so we are all know what it is about. It is a great healthy snack and much better than fast food. Happy Cooking!
1 small-medium can white tuna (in water)
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1tsp Dijon mustard
2-3 pickles (preferably French cornichons or German pickles from Hengstenberg)
1-2 green onions
2 leaves lettuce
pepper, salt to taste
hint of nutmeg
1tbsp olive oil and 1tsp white wine vinegar
1 hard boiled egg
1-2 tomatoes or 1-2 red radishes
2 slices of German rye or wheat bread
– Chop pickles in small cubes; cut green onion in small slices; wash lettuce and dry them on a paper towel.
– Mix tuna in a bowl with mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar.
– Spread some butter on a slice of bread, put lettuce leave on top.
– Spread the tuna mix evenly over the whole slice.
– Peel the egg and cut it in thin slices (use an egg slicer if you have one, cuts them really thin).
– Cut tomato or radishes in thin slices (use firm tomatoes).
– Add eggs and tomatoes on top and decorate with some parsley or chives.