In Germany we love rolls and especially the sweet German milk rolls. They taste so good just alone with butter or with cream cheese and a dot jam on top. I have found for you an authentic recipe for these kind of rolls. They are made out a yeast dough and are not that difficult to make. The milk rolls are great for the breakfast or brunch table. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Sweet German Milk Rolls
500 g wheat flour, all purpose, unbleached
1 cube fresh yeast (42g or 0.6oz) or 1 package dry yeast
If you can only find dried yeast use this as a guide for 500g flour: 15g fresh = 1 tablespoon dried = 7g fast-action.
500 ml whole milk (not low fat)
You might like this German Yeast Dough Baking Mix!
500 g flour, all purpose, unbleached
150 g sugar
50 g butter
1 tsp salt
The German Christmas Box is available now!
Baking Instructions Sweet German Milk Rolls
- Dissolve yeast in milk, add to flour, make a so called “Vorteig” which is a pre-dough or starter: Mix all ingredients very well.
- Let rise at a warm place, covered with a clean kitchen cloth, until dough has doubled (up to 1 hour).
- No add all dough ingredients and knead with kneading hooks until you get a smooth dough. You also can knead with your hands which should be sprinkled with flour.
- Let dough raise again for another 30 min.
- Sprinkle flour on a baking board or a clean and smooth surface.
- Knead dough with hands very well.
- Now form rolls (each should weigh about 80g).
- Place the rolls on a baking tray layered with parchment paper.
- Brush milk on top of each roll.
- Pre-heat oven to 390 F.
- Before you would bake the rolls, with a knife make a small cut in the middle. Brush again with milk.
- Bake the rolls for about 15 min.
Attention: They brown fast! Move the grid to a lower level if they are already brown before the end of the baking time.