The Sweet German Apple Krapfen are little apple pancakes or in Swabia we call them "Apfelküchle". It is an authentic German recipe that is easy to make. It is using the German vanilla pudding. A substitute would be some drops vanilla extract and corn starch. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Sweet German Apple Krapfen
40 g sugar
70 g flour
1 package Dr Oetker Vanilla Pudding or 1.5 oz corn starch and 1-2 tsp bourbon vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 dash salt
60 g quark - How to make quark -
1 big apple or 2 small ones
clarified butter for frying
Cooking Instructions Sweet German Apple Krapfen
(makes 9 pieces)
- Mix eggs with sugar and beat until foamy.
- Combine flour with baking powder.
- Add to dough with pudding powder, salt, lemon juice, and quark.
- Peel apple and grate. Add to dough.
- Heat clarified butter in a non-stick pan, reduce heat.
- Place 1 tbsp of the dough in the pan, fry on both sides evenly.
- Let apple Krapfen drain on kitchen paper. Then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Or enjoy them with apple sauce, ice cream, whipped cream or vanilla pudding.