This Sweet Bread Rhineland Style is very popular in the Rhineland and they call it “Butterstuten”. It is a sweet bread with raisins made out of a yeast dough. Awesome for breakfast with butter and jam. I am sure you will love this sweet bread. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Sweet Bread Rhineland Style
500 g flour, all purpose, unbleached – 4 cups
250 ml milk
80 g sugar – 1/3 cup
30 g fresh yeast or 1 pk dry yeast
1 medium size egg
1 tsp salt
50 g butter – about half a stick
100 g raisins
some sunflower oil, natural bread crumbs for the form
Baking Instructions Sweet Bread Rhineland Style
- Add yeast to one quarter milk. Dissolve butter in remaining milk (milk should just be warm).
- Place flour in a bowl, form a mold in the middle. Add egg and sugar into mold and mix it.
- In a small bowl add some flour, turn raisins in the flour.
- Add yeast-milk, butter-milk, salt and raisins, knead until you get a smooth dough (for about 5 min with hands).
- Cover dough with a kitchen cloth, let raise for 1 hour. Dough amount should double.
- Knead dough again.
- Brush a bread form (30x10cm) with the oil and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Place dough into the form, cover with a moist kitchen cloth or aluminum foil, let raise for another hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C or 400F.
- Bake bread for about 30 min.
- Brush bread when it is still hot with butter.
- Let cool off completely on a cooling rack.