The Sweet Braided Hazelnut Bread or in German “Nusszopf” is just delicious. It contains ground hazelnuts that can be easily substituted with ground walnuts or almonds. The dough is a yeast based dough, and not difficult to make. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Sweet Braided Hazelnut Bread
500 g all purpose flour, unbleached
1/4 liter whole milk, semi-warm
1 package dry yeast
80 g butter, very soft
50 g sugar
1 dash salt
zest of 1/2 lemon, organic
200 g hazelnuts (100 g chopped, 100 g grated)
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa, unsweetened
5 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
Baking Instructions Sweet Braided Hazelnut Bread
Make the Starter Dough
For raising the dough pre-heat oven to 100F or 40°C – optional.
– Combine flour, milk, yeast, salt, sugar and zest. Mix well by using the hand mixer with kneading hooks.
– Add butter. Mix until the dough can be easily removed from the bowl.
– By using a spatula remove dough from the bowl.
– Sprinkle flour on a smooth surface, and place dough on it.
– Knead thoroughly so you can form a round ball.
– Add some flour into a bowl, transfer dough into bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth.
– Let raise for 30 min at a warm place or when using the oven: turn off oven, place dough on the lowest rack and let raise 15 min.
Enjoy this Nusszopf with a Cup of German Coffee!
Make the Filling
– Mix all ingredients for the filling.
– Add as much milk to get a slightly thick batter, it should be easy to spread the filling. Mix well.
– Sprinkle flour on a smooth surface.
– Roll the dough to 50×40 cm or 20 inches.
– Place the filling in little heaps on the dough and with a spatula spread it evenly.
– Roll the dough very tightly starting with the longer side.
– Cut the roll lengthwise in half until to the middle.
– Place it on a baking tray layered with parchment paper.
– Now you have 2 parts that you can braid. Do the same with the other part of the roll.
– Let raise 15 min.
– Pre-heat oven to 390 F.
– Bake the braided bread for about 35-40 min on medium level.
Make the Glaze
Into a bowl sieve powdered sugar, mix with lemon juice and a bit of water until it is smooth and slightly thickened.
When the Zopf is done spread the glaze over it while bread is still hot. Let cool off before you cut it.
VIDEO How to Make of a German Hefezopf – It is in German but you can see at the end how the sweet bread will be braided.