After WWII food was rare. The nation was hungry and new dishes came about such as the Swabian Sour Potatoes. If you could add sausages then you had a great meal. Potatoes were and still are important in the German cuisine. There are hundreds of potato dishes. We found this recipe and thought it is important to show what can be cooked with just a few ingredients. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Swabian Sour Potatoes
1 kg potatoes
For the gravy:
2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp flour (or more)
1 splash white wine (optional)
1 liter vegetable broth
1 bay leave
vinegar to taste
salt, pepper to taste
4 Wiener sausages (Saitenwürstle in German)
Cooking Instructions Swabian Sour Potatoes
– boil potatoes with skin.
– heat butter with flour, mix well, it should get brown.
– add broth and wine and bring to a boil. The gravy should be thick.
– spice and add vinegar with bay leave and cloves.
– Let simmer for 15 min on low heat.
– peel potatoes, heat sausages in water. Cut potatoes in thin slices.
– Add potatoes to gravy, let sit for 3 min.
– Spice if necessary, remove cloves and bay leave.
You can use sausages whole or cut sausages in slices. Serve with potatoes.