This Swabian potato salad is a very popular salad in the South of Germany which is divided into Bavaria and Swabia. This salad from the “Schwabenland” can be made in different ways, and it is also popular in other regions of Germany. I think it’s the best German potato salad!
You can add Speck (German bacon)or enjoy it without. The salad can be served warm or cold but in any case it’s a very classic side dish with Bratwurst, Schnitzel or Frikadellen (German Burgers). This salad is a must have for all BBQs and parties. Just make sure that the potatoes you get for this salad are cooking firm such as the organic Gold potatoes. The Russet potatoes are getting too soft when boiled. And don’t use sweet potatoes.
The important point is that the potatoes should not fall apart during the cooking process. Test them frequently if they are soft enough. Use a pointy knife and poke them. If the knife can get easily through without causing that they fall apart, the potatoes are done. If they are too soft the salad will become mushy and this is not a desirable salad. I am sure you can find the right potatoes and I am also sure that you will love this salad!Happy Cooking!
1kg waxy, firm potatoes such as Gold potatoes
150 g Speck or bacon (one piece, not sliced) – Optional)
1 small-medium onion
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
1/4 liter water and 1 cube instant broth (beef or vegetable) – How to make Vegetable Broth –
2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
3-4 tbsp mix of chives and parsley, chopped
– Wash potatoes, and boil them in water (add some salt). When they are done let them cool off.
– Peel potatoes and cut them in thin slices; peel onion and chop fine.
– Bring 1/4 liter water to a boil and make the beef broth per instructions, or use the already made vegetable broth.
– For the dressing mix oil, broth, vinegar, onion, salt and pepper; pour over the potatoes.
– Cut Speck in small cubes and fry them in a skillet on high heat so that all grease will melt.
– Place the bacon on kitchen paper so the fat can be absorbed.
– Mix the salad thoroughly and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Some say it tastes the best after 1 hour!
– Meanwhile wash and dry chives; cut them into small pieces.
– Add chives and Speck cubes to the salad.
Serve with Wiener Sausages, Bratwurst, Weisswurst, Frikadellen or Knackwurst.