Swabian potato salad is a very popular salad in the South of Germany which is divided into Bavaria and Swabia. This salad from the "Schwabenland" can be made in different ways.
Some add Speck (bacon), some don't. It can be warm or cold. Serve it as a side dish or main dish with Bratwurst or Frikadellen (German Burgers). Just make sure that the potatoes for this salad are firm. We recommend to use Gold potatoes and not Russet, and use organic potatoes. The important point is that the potatoes should not fall apart during the cooking process. Test them frequently if they are soft enough. Use a pointy knife and poke them. If the knife can get easily through without causing that they fall apart, the potatoes are done. If they are too soft the salad will become mushy and this is not what we want. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Swabian Potato Salad
1kg waxy, firm potatoes such as Gold potatoes
150 g Speck or bacon (one piece, not sliced) - Optional, can be left out
1 small onion
1/4 liter water and 1 cube instant broth (beef or vegetable) - How to make Vegetable Broth -
2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
1/2 bunch chives
Cooking Instructions Swabian Potato Salad
- Wash potatoes, and boil them in water (add some salt). When they are done let them cool off.
- Peel potatoes and cut them in thin slices; peel onion and chop fine.
- Bring 1/4 l water to a boil and make the beef broth per instructions, or use the already made vegetable broth.
- For the dressing mix oil, broth, vinegar, onion, salt and pepper; pour over the potatoes.
- Cut Speck in small cubes and fry them in a skillet on high heat so that all grease will melt. Place the bacon on kitchen paper so the fat can be absorbed.
- Mix the salad thoroughly and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Some say it tastes the best after 1 hour!
- Meanwhile wash and dry chives; cut them into small pieces.
- Add chives and Speck cubes to the salad and serve it with Wiener Sausages, Bratwurst, Frikadellen or Knackwurst.