The Swabian Potato Dumplings, or as we call them “Knoedel”, are a regional food specialty from the South of Germany with Stuttgart as the main city of the county Baden-Würtemberg. This region has many delicious food specialties. The dumplings are served with dishes that contain gravy such as beef roast, Goulash or beef Rouladen. This is an original German recipe. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Swabian Potato Dumplings
1kg potatoes (eg Russet, In Germany we use special “floury” potatoes)
2 German style rolls (2 days old)
3/8 liter milk
100 g fat bacon (Speck)
4-5 tbsp parsley, chopped
150 g flour
salt, nut meg to taste
3 slices white bread
30 g butter
2 liter water with some salt
Cooking Instructions Swabian Potato Dumplings
– Boil potatoes, drain, and let cool off a bit.
– Peel potatoes and squeeze through a potato press, or mash them.
– Cut rolls in thin slices, place in a bowl, bring milk to a boil, pour milk over buns.
– Chop bacon in small cubes, melt in a skillet (don’t add any grease).
– Peel onions, chop them and saute in the bacon grease until transparent.
– Chop parsley fine.
– Add everything to the rolls, mix well, combine with the potatoes, mix well.
– Spice with salt and nutmeg to taste.
– Add flour and eggs to mashed potatoes, mix well until you get a dough that can be formed into dumplings, so it should not fall apart.
– Cut off the edges of the white bread, cut in cubes and brown slightly in the butter.
– Sprinkle flour over your hands and form dumplings of tennis ball size.
– Place into each dumpling 3-4 bread cubes.
– Bring water to a boil.
– Reduce heat, place dumplings into the water and let simmer for 20 min. When done they will float on the surface.
– With a slotted spoon remove them from the water, keep warm until all of them are done.
Serve with a gravy dish like Goulash or Beef roast
Go to the Goulash Recipe
Beef Roast – Rinderbraten Recipe