The Swabian apple cake is a cake from the South of Germany, the region around Stuttgart. You can find the lady finger cookies at Trader Joes, Big Lots or in special international stores or the international food section in US supermarkets. This is a proven and authentic German recipe and is fantastic for the weekend, holidays or festive occasions. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Swabian Apple Cake
100 g sugar
300 g flour
200 g butter
1 dash salt
1/2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp liquid bourbon vanilla
lemon zest of 1/2 lemon
1 egg yolk
100 g lady finger cookies
100 g butter
1,5 kg apples
2 egg yolks
400 ml heavy cream
40 g sugar
30 g corn or potato starch
zest of 1/2 lemon, organic
Baking Instructions Swabian Apple Cake
– Mix all dough ingredients and knead until you get a smooth dough. Roll to a ball.
– Wrap it in plastic wrap and let sit for at least 30 min in the fridge.
– Peel apples, remove core, cut in half and with a sharp and pointy knife make several vertical cuts but don’t cut completely through the apple.
– Grease a spring form very well with butter (diameter 10 inches) or use a sheet of parchment paper.
– Sprinkle with bread crumbs or flour.
– Un-wrap dough.
– Press the dough gently on the bottom of the form, and all around the rim.
– Place lady fingers on top of the dough, then add the apple halves.
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Melt butter and pour it over the apples.
– Mix eggs, egg yolks, sugar, starch, heavy cream and zest in a bowl.
– Pour it over the apples.
– Bake the cake in pre-heated oven on 180 C or 350 F for about 50 min.