The Swabian apple cake is a cake from the South of Germany, the region around Stuttgart. You can find the lady finger cookies at Trader Joes, Big Lots or in special international stores or the international food section in US supermarkets. This is a proven and authentic German recipe and is fantastic for the weekend, holidays or festive occasions. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Swabian Apple Cake
100 g sugar
300 g flour
200 g butter
1 pinch salt
1/2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp liquid bourbon vanilla
lemon zest of 1/2 lemon
1 egg yolk
100 g lady finger cookies
100 g butter
1,5 kg apples
2 egg yolks
400 ml heavy cream
40 g sugar
30 g corn or potato starch
lemon zest of 1/2 lemon, organic
1 package clear glaze Dr Oetker (optional) – see below
Baking Instructions Swabian Apple Cake
– Mix all dough ingredients and knead until you have a smooth dough; wrap it in foil and let it rest for about 30-60 min in the fridge.
– Peel apples, remove core, cut in half and with a sharp and pointy knife make several vertical cuts but don’t cut through the apple.
– Grease a spring form or a deep baking pan, sprinkle with bread crumbs, then place dough on the bottom and have it half up at the sides.
– Place lady fingers on top of the dough, then add apple halves.
– Melt butter and pour it over the apples.
– Mix eggs, egg yolks, sugar, starch, heavy cream and zest in a bowl, then pour it over the apples.
– Bake the cake in pre-heated oven on 180 C or 350 F for about 50 min.
– Make the glaze per instructions and pour over the cooled off cake.