When zucchinis and tomatoes are ripe you have an abundance of them. What to do with all the vegetable? I found a German dish, a summer zucchini tomato stew. It’s cooking in one pot, it’s a so called Eintopf, and if you make enough you can freeze it to get this wholesome stew in fall and winter.
It is easy to make, does not need any special ingredients, and the Italian herbs add a nice Mediterranean taste to it. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Summer Zucchini Tomato Stew
2 medium sized zucchini
5 medium size fresh tomatoes or 1 big can tomatoes
5 smaller potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cube or 1 tsp vegetable instant broth – How to make Vegetable broth from Scratch –
salt, pepper to taste
Italian herb mix, fresh or dry (thyme, marjoram, oregano) or 2 tbsp of a chopped parsley/chives mix or just parsley
Cooking Instructions Summer Zucchini Tomato Stew
- Peel onions, chop fine; peel potatoes.
- Cut carrots, potatoes and zucchinis in small cubes.
- When using fresh tomatoes, place them for 2 min in boiling water, so it will be easy to peel them. Cut them into small pieces.
- When using canned tomatoes cut them into smaller pieces.
- Heat olive oil, saute onions, add potatoes, tomatoes and carrots.
- Spice with instant broth, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Let simmer until potatoes are soft, add zucchini.
- The stew is done when zucchini are soft.
Serve with Wiener sausages or add some small sausages or Bologna cubes to the soup. Of course fresh bread with butter should be part of it!