The stuffed cabbage rolls is a great dish for any dinner or warm lunch. Cabbage is used since a long time because it is rich of Vitamin C. In the past people cooked it during the long winter months and it helped to get through that rough time.
How did this Dish come About?
In general vegetable was always used mainly as a side dish, but to use it as a main dish, clever house wives came up with a neat trick: They filled it with meat and bacon.
You can serve the stuffed cabbage rolls in a light or brown gravy. For the light gravy use heavy cream and/or some cornstarch. Find a recipe below to make a dark gravy. If you use packaged gravy make sure it won't contain monosodium glucamate which is a bad flavor enhancer. We found out that the Knorr products made in the USA contain it, but the German ones don't. Try the stuffed cabbage rolls, you will love them. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
1 small-medium sized whole cabbage, removed core
1 roll or 1 slice 1-2 day old bread, soaked in water
2 small onions, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
0,4 kg ground meat
1 tbsp paprika powder
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
broth instant and water to make the broth
salt, pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tomatoes (optional)
2-3 tbsp white wine or sherry
Cooking Instructions Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Take the whole cabbage and place it in a pot with enough water and let it boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from water. Remove the first leaves and place them into a wide enough bowl with cold water. Repeat until you have enough leaves for the rolls.
- Soak bread/rolls in warm water, squeeze them out very well.
- Mix meat with chopped onions, egg, bread and spices.
- Place the cabbage leaves on a kitchen cloth, place another cloth on top and with a heavy pot or pan flatten them.
- Place about 2 tbsp of the filling on each leave and form rolls.
- Fold cabbage ends towards the inside so the rolls are closed.
- Use tooth picks to fix it.
- In a big cooking pot brown rolls briefly on all sides.
- Add broth.
- Cook rolls or 40-45 minutes, check that there is always enough liquid in the pot.
- 15 minutes before the rolls are done add the chopped tomatoes to the broth (if you use them).
- When rolls are done take them out and set aside in the oven (keep them warm).
- Add heavy cream to the stock, bring to a boil, spice with salt and pepper if necessary.
- You also can add some sherry or white fine for some rich taste.
- Serve rolls with gravy and boiled potatoes.
When buying the cabbage watch out for bad spots on the cabbage. The cabbage should be solid and not soft.
Cabbage stays fresh in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
For a Dark Gravy