Streusel Cake with Plum butter (Pflaumenmus in German) is an easy German cake that even beginners will be manage successfully. If you don’t have plum butter here is the recipe to make it – Go to Recipe – But you can also use different jams like apricot, red currant or raspberry.
Plum Butter of Pflaumenmus is been used in many German cakes and pastries. This Streusel Cake will be a great addition for your Kaffee und Kuchen table on Sunday! Happy Baking!
Ingredients Streusel Cake with Plum Butter
400 g sugar
400 g butter, melted and cooled off
1 dash salt
1 tbsp baking powder Dr oetker
2 med size eggs
750 g flour
600 g plum butter
450 g creme fraiche
2 packages vanilla sugar, 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
Baking Instructions Streusel Cake with Plum Butter
– Melt butter and let cool off.
– Mix sugar, flour, salt and baking powder in a big bowl; add 2 eggs and butter, make streusel out of it.
– Layer a baking tray with parchment paper or grease it.
– Pre-heat oven.
– Place plum butter in a 1 quart plastic bag, make knot on top.
– Mix creme fraiche, vanilla sugar and eggs until it is creamy and smooth.
– Press 2/3 of the dough gently into a deep baking tray; this makes the cake base.
– Spread cream on top.
– Cut a corner off the bag with the plum butter and place plum butter blots on the cream; add remaining streusel on top.
– Bake for 30 min on 350 F.
Let cool off on a baking grid, then cut in triangles and dust with powdered sugar.
– Instead of plum butter use apricot jam or red currant jelly.
– Use less jam if you don’t want the cake to be so sweet or the layer of jam is thinner.
– Add 1 tsp cinnamon to the remaining streusel, knead the dough again, then place on top.
– This cake can be frozen.