This Strawberry Zebra Cake recipe is from Germany and it is an awesome summer fruit cake that you will love for sure.
It is easy to make and even baking beginners will be successful. It is called “Zebra” Cake because of the dark and light biscuit base cake. If you like you can decorate the top of the cake with whipped cream. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Strawberry Zebra Cake Recipe
1 kg strawberries
150 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3oz – How to make vanilla sugar –
100 g flour
10 g potato starch
3 tsp baking powder, pref. Dr Oetker (no baking soda)
1 tbsp cocoa powder (heaped)
1 package red cake glaze (Tortenguss Dr. Oetker) – How to Make the Glaze –
100 g strawberry jam
50g sliced almonds
Baking Instructions Strawberry Zebra Cake Recipe
– Place on the bottom of a spring form (26cm) baking paper.
– For the biscuit base cake mix eggs with sugar and vanilla sugar and beat them until foamy.
– Mix flour with starch and baking powder, sieve it onto the egg mix and carefully mix it.
– Pre-heat oven to 180 C or 350 F.
– Separate the biscuit dough in 2 parts. Add cocoa powder (sieve it) to one part and mix it (dark biscuit).
– Place 2-3 tbsp of the dark dough in the middle of the spring form. Then place some tbsp of the light dough on top, alternate this until the whole biscuit dough is in the spring form.
– Bake it for 25-30 minutes, take it out of the form and let it cool off on a grid.
– Place a cake ring around the cake.
– Wash strawberries, pat them dry and place one next to the other on the biscuit cake.
– Make the cake glaze per instructions and pour it over the strawberries.
– Keep it cool until the glaze is firm, then take off the cake ring.
– Spread the jam around the outer part of the cake and press the sliced almonds on it.
Make a Dr. Oetker Vanilla pudding per instructions and spread it over the biscuit, place strawberries on top, then add the glaze.
If you don’t want to use the Dr Oetker USA pudding version, which is artificially flavored, make your own pudding – How to Make Vanilla Pudding –
If you don’t have the Dr. Oetker glaze (Tortenguss), use red grape juice with some tapioca and bring to boil, it will thicken fast. The German Tortenguss is quite easy to make, just add sugar and mix well with water.