In Germany we love to make this cake in summer with fresh fruit. The Strawberry Cream Roll (or roulade) is a German classic cake that you can make it you are a somewhat experienced baker. In German we call this cake “biskuitrolle”. It is a roll that is filled with a creamy and fruity filling. Yoiu can vary the filling by adding different berries such as blueberries or raspberries. If you have quark, add it to the filling and with some lemon zest you will have a lemon roll.
Ingredients Strawberry Cream Roll
For the Dough
70 g flour – 2.4oz
55 g starch – 2oz
120 g sugar – 1/2 cup
2 packages vanilla sugar (0.3oz each) – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
1 tsp (flat) baking powder Dr Oetker (not baking soda)
For the Filling
250 ml heavy cream – 1 cup
1.5 cups chopped strawberries or alternatively raspberries or blueberries
sugar to taste
1 package whip it Dr Oetker (keeps the whipped cream firm) – optional
Baking Instructions Strawberry Cream Roll
– Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
– Mix eggs with sugar and vanilla sugar until creamy.
– Mix flour with baking powder and starch, add to the dough, mix well.
– Line a rimmed baking sheet (15 x 10 inches) with parchment paper, grease the parchment paper with some butter.
– Spread batter on the parchment paper.
– Bake for 8-10 min. Do the tooth pick test by poking gently the dough; if no dough sticks to the pick it is done.
– Sprinkle some sugar on waxed paper that is placed on top of a damp kitchen towel; then invert baked cake on top.
– Remove parchment paper from warm cake. It should come off easily. Trim edges of cake if necessary.
– Roll the dough immediately (important!) and let cool off.
– Now for the filling beat the heavy cream firm, add whip it if you like.
– Add the berries with some sugar (if not sweet enough).
– Unroll the cool cake carefully, then spread the filling evenly on it.
– Roll it again. The waxed paper will help to roll it.
– Keep it at least 1 hour in the fridge before serving.
– Decorate the roll before serving.
- The strawberry cream roll tastes the best when kept over night at a cool place. Keep it at least for 1 hour in the fridge before serving.
- If you use powdered sugar dust the rill right before serving and not earlier.
- Add 250 g quark to the whipped cream and some lemon zest or lemon juice and you have a lemon roll.
- You can just dust the roll with powdered sugar.
- Squirt some whipped cream on top and place whole strawberries into the cream.
- Melt some chocolate or get some ready chocolate sauce and draw some fine lines back and forth over the roll.