Springerle are classic German Christmas cookies with anise. Springerle are coming from the South of Germany, from Swabia, and they are not round, they are always having a rectangle shape. You need special forms or molds to make them but they can be purchased online. See the link at the bottom of this page. If you use a rolling pin don’t buy the cheapest one as the ornaments are of a different quality. Happy Baking!
By using a rolling pin you would roll out the dough with a regular rolling pin, then dust the flattened dough with flour, gently roll the picture rolling pin over it and then remove any excess flour with a clean baking brush.
(for 40-50 cookies depending on size)
500 g powdered sugar
625 g flour
1 point of a knife baking powder or Hirschhornsalz (ammonium carbonate)
1 tbsp anise seeds
flour for the forms
– Beat eggs and sugar until foamy.
– Add flour and baking powder or “Hirschhorn” salt, and anise. Knead to a dough, roll it, knead again, then let it rest for 1 hours at room temperature.
– Roll dough 1cm thick and make Springerle by using the typical molds or a rolling pin to make the cookies – see Tips above.
A SPECIAL GIFT FOR SPECIAL PEOPLE
– Wax the baking trays with organic bee wax or layer with baking paper.
– Keep Springerle for 24 hours in a cool room, so the egg yolk can settle and the egg white will raise in the dough.
– Pre-heat oven to 300 F and bake for about 12 min. Don’t bake them longer otherwise they become hard and dry.
– The surface should always stay light and never get brown.
– When they are done they are soft.
Keep them in a big cookie jar and place a moist kitchen cloth over the top so they won’t dry out. Enjoy them with coffee or tea and traditionally dip them!
Where to buy Molds, Anise and Hirschhornsalz?
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.