Spinach Spaetzle is a variation of the regular Spaetzle and there is no doubt these Spatzle are just delicious. It is a local specialty from the South, from the region Swabia with the capital Stuttgart. Happy Cooking!
200 g flour
salt and nutmeg to taste
225 g frozen spinach, very fine
OR 1 package Bechtle Spaetzle
– Thaw spinach, drain it and with a sharp knife chop it fine if necessary, you need a very fine spinach.
– Mix all ingredients in a bowl and with a hand mixer mix until you get a somewhat thick dough.
– Bring water with some salt to a boil.
– Use half of the dough and a Spätzle maker to make them.
– When the Spätzle are swimming at the surface remove them with a slotted spoon or skimmer and place them in a sieve, rinse with cold water.
– Do the same with the second dough batch.
The spinach Spätzle can be served as a side dish for Goulash, beef or pork roast or Rouladen with gravy. You can also serve them as a main dish with fried onions and cheese on top.
– Peel 2 onions and cut them in fine slices.
– In a skillet melt clarified butter, add onions and fry them on low – medium heat until they are brown, this can take up to 30 minutes.
– Grate Swiss cheese, cheddar or older Gouda.
– Melt butter in a separate pan.
– Place Spatzle in a fire proof form, pour butter over them.
– Add the cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes on high heat or until cheese has melted.
Serve with fried onions on top.
You can use a Spatzle maker or make them from scratch.