Popular Meatless dish: Spinach potatoes fried eggs – A very German dish, and as of today, it is the meal for many families. It is healthy and a very tasteful combination for a nutritious meal.
Spinach is not only good food for babies. This green vegetable has high nutritional values; contains antioxidants, especially when fresh, steamed, or quickly boiled. Spinach is a rich source of vitamins A, C, E, K, B2, B6 and for minerals such as magnesium, manganese, iron, calcium, potassium, folic acid, copper, protein, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Spinach Potatoes Fried Eggs
500 g fresh or frozen (chopped) spinach
3 tbsp butter
1 small onion
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp cooking oil
salt, fresh grated nutmeg, pepper to taste
Using Fresh Spinach:
Remove stems, place briefly in boiling water. Drain and keep 200ml of the spinach water. Let cool off.
Puree spinach by using a hand blender or food processor.
Using frozen Spinach:
Defrost spinach, and puree with hand blender or food processor.
If you don’t want the spinach to be a puree, you can cut the defrosted or cooked spinach in fine little pieces with a very sharp knife.
- Peel potatoes, cut in halves or leave as whole if they are small.
- Boil potatoes in water until they are soft. Drain.They should be done at the same time with the spinach and the eggs.
- Peel onion, chop fine.
- Melt butter in a pan, saute onions, add flour, mix well. Add the spinach water. Stir until it has thickened.
- Add spinach, cook until spinach is hot.
- Spice to taste and add heavy cream.
- Make the fried eggs.
Serve with boiled potatoes or “Pellkartoffeln” (boiled potatoes with the peel on) and fried eggs.