To make them you would need special molds with the typical Spekulatius design. Spekulatius contain a special spice mix which consists out of cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. There are different Spekulatius: Almond, Butter and Spice Spekulatius.
The ones from Belgium and Netherlands have a typical caramel taste. If you want, get the molds, the spice and try them out, you will love them! If you don’t want to buy the molds just use nice cookie cutters or make them as regular round cookies. Both works well! Happy Baking!
50 g marzipan for baking
200 g soft butter
150 g brown sugar
1 tsp cocoa powder ( no sugar)
2 tsp Spekulatius spice OR 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1/4 tsp ginger ground, point of knife: nutmeg, cloves
300 g spelt flour Dinkelmehl (Type 603),
100 g ground almonds
1 tbsp starch
2 tbsp milk
– grate marzipan roughly, mix it in a bowl with butter and sugar, then mix it well until foamy.
– add egg, cocoa and spice, mix it.
– add flour and ground almonds, knead fast until you get a smooth dough.
– wrap it in plastic foul and place it 1 hour in the fridge.
– pre-hear oven to 175 C or 350 F; layer a baking tray with parchment paper.
– roll dough on a floured baking board 3-4mm. Sieve starch onto the dough and spread it all over.
– press the dough into the molds, take them out with a knife and place on baking tray.
– brush the Spekulatius with milk and bake for 15 min.
– let them cool of on a grid.CLICK here for Spekulatius Molds