This recipe for a Simple German Cabbage Salad might become your favorite cabbage salad recipe! This salad is great for the BBQ, serves well as a side dish for Bratwurst and Leberkase or goes well with grilled meats.
Walmart or Trader Joes carries the German sparkling water Gerolsteiner (maybe other super markets too). We recommend to use German vinegar if possible. Alternatively use red or white wine vinegar of high quality. If you don't use herb vinegar use some herbs such as parsley or chives. You also can add some fine stripes of red and yellow pepper. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Simple German Cabbage Salad
1 cabbage (medium)
2 medium onions
125 ml sunflower oil (or canola, taste neutral oil)
2-3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
350 ml vinegar (pref. German herb vinegar)
330 ml sparkling water such as the German water Gerolsteiner (1 bottle)
optional: chopped parsley
Cooking Instructions Simple German Cabbage Salad
- Remove the parts of the cabbage, cut in half. Grate/shred fine, the best is to use a cabbage shredder.
- Place shredded cabbage in a bowl.
- Chop onion fine, add to cabbage.
- For the dressing mix sugar, oil, vinegar and mineral water. Mix well, sugar has to dissolve completely. When adding the mineral water it will get foamy!
- Combine cabbage and dressing. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl with a smaller lid, place some full cans on top. Let sit for 24 hours in the fridge.
- Drain the liquid the next day then serve the salad.