What are we cooking today? Schnitzel with Camembert which will be melted on top of the schnitzel and served with a spoonful of lingon or cranberries. Yummy! Great German dish for dinner and is easy to make. It's not quite clear from what part of Germany is originating but it is an authentic German recipe for sure. This combination of schnitzel, ham, Camembert and a Bechamel sauce is very good. Try it out. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Schnitzel with Camembert
(4 servings - 2 Schnitzel each or 8 servings)
8 pork schnitzel
salt, grated pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp flour
4 tbsp oil
4 slices cooked ham
125 g Camembert
8 tsp cranberries or lingon berries
50 g butter
40 g flour
500 ml heavy cream
250 ml vegetable or beef broth (instant)
1 tsp mustard
salt, pepper to taste
mushrooms, fresh or from can
Cooking Instructions Schnitzel with Camembert
- Wash meat, and pat dry; you can pound it a bit; spice with salt and pepper. Turn both sides in flour.
- Heat oil in a skillet and fry Schnitzel briefly on all sides.
- Place the Schnitzel in a fire proof form.
- Cur sliced ham in half, cut Camembert in slices.
- Place first ham then cheese on the Schnitzel, then on top 1 tsp cranberries.
- Melt butter, add flour and while stirring saute flour until light golden, then add heavy cream and broth bit by bit while stirring. Whisk very well so you won't get clumps. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 4-5 min.
- Add mustard, spice with salt and pepper.
- Prepare mushrooms, drain the can or wash, and slice fresh ones.
- Pour the sauce over the meat.
- Bake in oven (don't pre-heat!) for about 35 min on 320-350 F.
Serve with pasta, fried potatoes or fresh bread.