The Sauerkraut Westphalia Style is an authentic German recipe from the region Westphalia (Westfalen). You can use pre-cooked or raw Sauerkraut for this dish. Make sure you get natural Sauerkraut without any preservatives or other chemicals (will alter the taste). Sauerkraut always tastes the best the next day or when warmed up several times. Serve with smoked pork chops (Kasseler), sausages or grilles ham hocks. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Sauerkraut Westphalia Style
100 g Speck, smoked with some fat, cubes (German bacon)
1 tbsp lard
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 liter broth (beef or vegetable)
1 bay leave
5 juniper berries
1 kg Sauerkraut
salt, pepper to taste
1 big potato
served with Kasseler or sausages – Find the best Speck, Kasseler or sausages in the USA at www.Bavariasausage.com
Cooking Instructions Sauerkraut Westphalia Style
– Fry Speck in lard until crunchy.
– Brown onions, add broth, juniper berries, and bay leave (you can place them in a little cooking bag).
– Add Sauerkraut, take it apart.
– Spice with salt and pepper.
– Let cook for 1,5 hours – it depends on the kind of Sauerkraut that you are using. If Sauerkraut is pre-cooked cooking time would be 30 min! Raw Sauerkraut needs 1,5-2 hrs cooking time.
– 20 min before Sauerkraut is cooked place Kasseler or sausages on top of it and cook until it is hot.
– Remove the bag with berries.
– Grate the potato, add to sauerkraut and bring again to a brisk boil.
Want to make your own Sauerkraut – We have a recipe! – GO TO RECIPE –