Sauerkraut stew with sausages is a wonderful dish for any season. You must try this stew - or "Eintopf" in German - if you like Sauerkraut. The best is to get the canned German Sauerkraut from Hengstenberg or Kuehne if possible.
You would also need sausages for this recipe, and we recommend to get the so called German "Roastbratwuerstchen" or "Thuringer Smoked Bratwurst". It is a special sausage that comes from the region "Thueringen or Thuringia".
Thuringian sausage has been produced for hundreds of years. The oldest known reference to a Thuringian sausage is located in the Thuringian State Archive in Rudolfstadt in a transcript of a bill from an Arnstadt convent from 1404. The oldest known recipe dates from 1613 and is kept in the State Archive in Weimar, another is listed in the "Thüringisch-Erfurtische Kochbuch" from 1797 which also mentions a smoked variety. Lots of history for sausages but that how it is in Germany. Traditions are kept and the heritage is protected. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Sauerkraut Stew with Sausages
500 g potatoes
2 smaller onions
40 g clarified butter
1 can/jar Sauerkraut, 1.5 lbs - 600g
3/4 l broth or water (instant or Make the broth from scratch )
1 bay leave
8 Thuringia Sausages or Bratwurst or Knackwurst - Find these sausages at BavariaSausage.com
100 ml heavy cream
1 tbsp mustard
salt, pepper, caraway seeds to taste
1 dash sugar
3 tbsp chopped chives
Cooking Instructions Sauerkraut Stew with Sausages
- Peel potatoes, cut into cubes.
- Peel and cut onions into small pieces.
- Heat clarified butter; saute potatoes and onions for about 10 minutes.
- Get the Sauerkraut out of the jar, loose it up with a fork.
- Place Sauerkraut in a pan together with the broth; let cook on low-medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Fry the Sausages in an extra pan in hot butter; remove from pan and cut into slanted slices.
- Place them back into the pan and fry a bit longer.
- Mix the cream with mustard; add to the stew. Spice with salt, pepper, caraway seeds to taste
- Add the sausages; cut chives and sprinkle over the stew.