Cook and eat like a sailor! Today find out about a local dish specialty from the city of Bremen in North Germany: The Sailor Stew Bremen Style. It is a hearty stew with beef and pork, served with boiled potatoes and vegetable of your choice. In German it is called “Matrosenfleisch”. Feel like being in Bremen when enjoying this dish – Greetings from the wonderful city of Bremen. Happy Cooking!
1 lb beef for stew, cubes
1 lb pork cutlet, cubes
2 tbsp sun flower oil or lard to brown the meat
2 small-medium sized onions
2 medium sized carrots
2 celery stalks
1/2 smaller celery root
ground black pepper, salt to taste
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry red wine
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
2-3 tbsp freshly grated horseradish
3 tbsp parsley, chopped
Cooking Instructions Sailor Stew Bremen Style
- Cut meat in cubes. Peel onions and chop fine.
- All vegetable must be cut in small pieces.
- Heat oil or lard in a big skillet, brown meat evenly on all sides.
- Add the onions and chopped vegetable.
- Saute for 2-3 min, add spices, horseradish, wine and bay leave.
- Cover it and let cook on medium heat for 45-60 min or until meat is very tender.
- Mix starch in some warm water, add to stew.
- Chop parsley, add it with more salt, pepper and horseradish if necessary.
Picture credit www.ellmi-online.de