Roastbeef Roemertopf is a meat dish that is made in a so called Roemertopf - a clay baker or pot that is similiar to a crock pot but will be used in the oven.
For centuries food has been cooked in earthenware pots over open fires or in brick ovens. That is what the Römertopf does. You can use it to cook a variety of vegetables, meats, casseroles, and breads in the home oven. The Roemertopf should be made out of Terra Cotta and should not contain bad substances like lead or cadmium. It should not be glazed.
Important: Before each use, the pot is soaked in water in order to absorb a certain amount of moisture into the permeable clay. This moisture is slowly released during cooking, sealing in the natural juices and increasing the flavor and tenderness. Try out this German recipe - you will love it. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Roast Beef Roemertopf
1 kg roast beef
3 tbsp clarified butter
5 layers of German Speck (Black Forest style bacon)
1/2 celery root
1 bunch parsley , Italian
2 twigs Thyme
200 ml red wine
200 ml broth instant (beef or vegetable)
200 g creme fraiche
2 tbsp starch (optional)
Cooking Instructions Roast Beef Roemertopf
- Place meat into the Roemertopf
(Important: soak the pot including the lid for 30 min in water before you use it).
- Chop onions, quarter tomatoes, chop parsley and thyme, cut celery root in cubes, slice leek and carrots.
- Place all ingredients around the meat, spice with salt and pepper, add red wine and warm broth (don't use cold liquids).
- sprinkle lemon juice over the meat
- Place the Römertopf in the COLD oven (this is important!) and cook on 200 C or 390F for 2-3 hours - meat needs to be soft and tender.
- Take out from oven and place it on a pot holder, kitchen cloth (not on a cold surface); place roast beef on a plate.
- Drain the meat stock through a sieve, pour into a pan.
- Put the roast beef back into the Roemertopf, and keep it in the oven without the lid for 10 min; that's how you get a nice crust.
Gravy - 2 options
1. Squeeze the vegetables that were in the Romertopf together with the meat through a sieve by using a fork, pressing against the sieve. DO this over the pot where you will keep the gravy.
2. Puree everything with a mixer but the ham needs to be removed first, don't puree the ham.After you have made the puree add red wine or broth, add mixed creme fraiche with starch and bring it to a boil. You would use the starch to thicken the gravy.
Marinade the Meat
You can marinade the meat before cooking. The marinade makes the meat more tender.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 rosemary twigs
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and rub the meat with it.
Place meat in a freezer bag, add the rest of the marinade liquid, close it tightly and let sit in the fridge for 2 days.
After 2 days take the meat out of the bag and place it on a wooden board, pat dry with kitchen paper. Spice with salt and pepper. the best is to mix salt and pepper and rub it into the meat.