The Red and white cabbage salad is a very simple and inexpensive German recipe if you like to eat raw vegetable. In German we call it "Rohkost" which means the vegetable is raw, and will be enjoyed uncooked. Normally red and white cabbage will be cooked.
The advantage of Rohkost is, that important enzymes are not destroyed by the cooking process. This is a healthy choice for any lunch or dinner. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Red and White Cabbage Salad
500 g white cabbage and 500 g red cabbage
2 eggs, hard boiled
2 small onions
100 g German bacon (Speck)
2 tbsp mustard
6 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt, fresh pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar
1/8 l salad oil (canola, sunflower, olive)
2-3 tbsp chopped chives
Cooking Instructions Red and White Cabbage Salad
- Cut red and white cabbage in quarters and remove the firm parts.
- Cut in fine stripes or grate it with a machine. Keep the two cabbage stripes separate, don't mix them.
- Boil eggs, place them in cold water for 10 seconds, peel them and cut into slices. Chop onions in fine cubes.
- Cut bacon in small stripes and fry it in a skillet until crunchy. When done remove from the skillet, and fry onions in the same skillet (use the remaining bacon grease).
- Mix mustard, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and sugar and add fried onions including the grease
- Mix half of the salad dressing with red cabbage, then white cabbage and let it sit for 30 minutes. Chop chives fine.
- Place red cabbage, then white cabbage separately on a plate and decorate with egg slices and chives.