The German Butter Cake is a perfect cake for baking beginners. In Germany we love simple cakes because they can be made fast. If you get unexpected guests you can make this cake! This original German cake recipe is popular throughout Germany. You can vary the recipe by adding sour cherries, apricots or peaches. Just place them into the dough or on the bottom of the baking tray. Enjoy this cake with a good cup of German coffee – Such as TSCHIBO Exclusive! Happy Baking!
some butter for greasing the baking tray
250 g heavy cream – 1 cup
200 g butter – 2 sticks
1 Package baking powder (0.5oz)
1 package Dr Oetker Vanilla sugar (0.32oz) – How to Make Vanilla Sugar –
4 tbsp milk
250 g sliced almonds – 8.8oz
1 dash salt
400 g flour – 3 1/3 cups
300 g sugar – 1 1/2 cups (if you like the cake sweeter use 500g or 2 1/2 cups; the original recipe is using this amount, we find it a bit too sweet)
– Preheat oven to 350 F.
– Grease a deeper baking tray, dust with flour. Alternatively use a high side sheet cake pan (see below) and layer it with parchment paper (no greasing).
– Mix heavy cream with half of the sugar and salt, mix very well by using a hand mixer.
– Add eggs, sieved flour, 75 g very soft butter, 1 vanilla sugar and baking powder, mix well.
– Spread the dough on the baking tray and bake for about 12-15 min.
– Melt remaining butter, add remaining sugar, milk and almonds, mix well.
– Spread this mix on the cake and bake for another 20-30 min until the almonds show a golden color.
This is an original German Goulash recipe or paprika beef stew with red pepper and mushrooms (in German Gulasch or Rindsgulasch). It is one of the best goulash variations and I got the recipe from my sister-in-law from Germany. It is an authentic German recipe, proven and easy to make. Happy Cooking!
500 g beef stew
2 medium size onions
2 red peppers
250 g mushrooms, white
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp Tomato paste
salt, pepper, to taste
2 tsp mild red paprika or use the EDORA Goulash seasoning – see below
– Heat oil in a skillet; fry meat briskly bit by bit (don’t use it all at once); when all meat is browned take off the skillet.
– Chop onions finely, saute until transparent in the same skillet.
– Cut red pepper in fine stripes, add to onions and saute for some minutes.
– Add meat, spice with salt, pepper and mild red paprika powder or Edora seasoning.
– Add 2-3 tbsp tomato paste, fill up with some water (1/2 cup or less; should not be too thin).
– Reduce heat and let simmer for 1.5 – 2 hours until meat is tender (depends on the meat).
– 10 minutes before the end of cooking time add the sliced mushrooms.
Serve with your favorite pasta or rice.
If you ever wanted to make a German salad for your party, we have the right recipe for you: The Authentic German Pasta Salad. This salad is super easy to make and tastes so much better than the ones you can buy in the super markets. Does not contain any sugar and is the best when using organic vegetables. Happy Cooking!
1 cup Elbow pasta
2 spring onions
2-3 mini cucumbers
5 tbsp green peas and 5 tbsp sweet corn (frozen)
salt, pepper, sweet paprika to taste
1 dash nutmeg
1 tbsp greek natural yoghurt and 1 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp sun flower oil and 3 tbsp vinegar (white or red wine) – I used the German 13 herbs vinegar
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
2 small tomatoes or 10 cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
– Bring water with some salt to a boil.
– Cook pasta per directions (normally it takes only 4-5 minutes).
– Drain pasta.
– Peel cucumbers, cut in small pieces.
– Cut tomatoes and spring onions in small pieces.
– Combine in a bowl peas, sweet corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, spring onions with spices. Mix well.
– Add drained pasta, mix well.
– Mix mayonnaise with yoghurt, oil and vinegar and add to salad.
– Spice again to taste.
Let sit for 15 minutes in the fridge before you serve this delicious summer salad with Bratwurst, Frikadellen (burgers) or with any grilled meats fresh from the BBQ. Tastes awesome with a steak or grilled chicken breasts.
The German Ice cream dessert Banana split is served in every ice cream parlor – Eisdiele – in Germany. The origin is actually from the USA, from Latrobe, a city in Pennsylvania. It’s been said to use three different ice cream flavors: vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. The German version is using two: vanilla and chocolate. This ice cream specialty has gone around the globe and it’s served in a long dish which makes the dessert look like a boat.
In Germany the dessert had been made popular after ww II through the Italian Ice cream parlors that got established all over the nation. Enjoy this dessert. Happy Icecreaming!
150 g heavy cream
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3 oz – (optional but adds a super nice taste)
4 scoops vanilla ice cream OR 2 scoops and 2 scoops chocolate ice cream
chopped or sliced almonds
Cooking Instructions Dessert Banana Split
– Use bananas that are ripe but still are somewhat firm, they should not have any dark spots.
– Peel bananas and cut lengthwise.
– Whip heavy cream with vanilla sugar until firm.
– Fill whipped cream into a frosting bag with a star nozzle.
– Add a good amount of whipped cream on a bowl that has a long form. There are special banana split forms available.
– On each side of the whipped cream place a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
– Place the banana halves left and right on the place, so it looks like a boat.
– Sprinkle almonds on top and decorate with some lines of chocolate sauce.
Authentic German potato salad recipe from the South of Germany, Swabia, the region around Stuttgart, Freiburg and Karlsruhe. Every traditional inn or restaurant (Gasthaus) serves this potato salad either in combination with a mixed salad or just plain. We call it in German “Kartoffelsalat”.
This German potato salad recipe is one of my favorite salad recipes. My mother used to make the best German potato salad. She would boil the potatoes, then let them cool off completely before she grated them. This is the trick.
Of course German potatoes are different and you buy special potatoes for potato salad. Per my experience the Gold potatoes are the best for this salad. It always failed with Russet potatoes. Make sure the potatoes don’t get too soft. For the German potato salads the potatoes will be peeled after they had been cooked. Happy Cooking!
1,5 pounds cooked potatoes (preferably Gold potatoes, yellow)
500 ml beef or vegetable broth – How to make Vegetable Broth –
1 medium sized onion
1/4 cup sun flower oil (taste neutral oil)
1 tbsp German mustard (optional)
1/4 cup vinegar (white or red wine vinegar, preferably German vinegar, see below)
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
chopped parsley or chives
– Boil potatoes with skin.
– While potatoes are boiling chop onion finely, place into a big bowl.
– Combine inions with oil, vinegar and mustard, mix well.
– Pour 250ml (half of the amount) HOT beef or vegetable broth (use instant powder or make it from scratch) over it.
– When potatoes are done remove them from the water, peel, and let cool off.
– Cut into very thin slices (potatoes must not be hot).
– Add them to onion broth and mix well with a wooden spoon.
– Add more broth if necessary; the salad should NOT be too dry (you should hear a smacking sound while mixing) and should NOT be swimming in broth.
– Add salt, nutmeg and pepper to taste.
– Let salad sit for some time to see if it will be still moist (potatoes soak the liquid fast), add more broth if needed.
– Add the chopped parsley or chives on top.
This German potato salad tastes delicious as a side dish with the famous German “Wienerschnitzel”, Leberkäse, Hot dogs, Wiener sausages, Bratwurst, Bockwurst, Weisswurst, or fish fillet. Makes a great side dish for a summer BBQ.
– Buy the yellow potatoes; if possible use organic potatoes. Don’t use soft and floury potatoes as they will get too mushy such as Russet.
– Using home made broth would be the best or bouillon (cubes) Made in Germany without MSG.
– Don’t use chicken broth.
– Mayonnaise is not an option for this salad.
– Always peel the potatoes when they are cooked. And never use them with the skin on.
The German iced coffee – or as we call it “Eiskaffee” – is not just ice cubes in some cup of cold coffee. No, this is not the right style. It must contain whipped cream and vanilla ice cream to be perfect! The Eiskaffee is very popular in Germany and you can get it in every ice cream parlor and Cafe. If you can get it somewhere in the USA, you are lucky. In case you cannot, it’s so easy to make from scratch! Try it out. Happy Cooking!
100 g heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla sugar – How to Make Vanilla Sugar –
(alternatively vanilla extract and a little bit of sugar)
4 scoops vanilla ice cream
300 ml brewed coffee, chilled (preferably German coffee)
grated chocolate, unsweetened cocoa, cherries or chocolate syrup for decoration
– Combine heavy cream with vanilla sugar and whip until very firm.
– Fill 2 scoops vanilla ice cream into 2 tall glasses.
– Pour the chilled coffee over the ice cream.
– Place the whipped cream on top.
– Decorate with a cherry, grated chocolate or chocolate syrup.
You can add some flavor by adding some liquor such as (Asbach) brandy or Amaretto.
The Cremeschnitten classic recipe is based on filo or phyllo dough and will be filled with vanilla cream. These creamy pastries are a German specialty and you can buy them practically in every German bakery.
Trader Joe’s Phyllo Dough is crafted with flour, water and just a touch of oil, using a lengthy, painstaking process that involves repeatedly rolling and stretching a single very large and very thin sheet of dough. As it is rolled and stretched, it becomes thinner and thinner. When it’s reached the ideal thickness or better thinness, its rolled into a cylinder, frozen and packaged.
Walmart has fillo dough too and probably other supermarkets as well. Grocery store brands such as Athens, Apollo, and Pepperidge Farms are all good. But you need to use the filo dough for pastries. For the vanilla cream we use vanilla pudding and gelatin to make it firm.
If you like not to use the Cremeschnitten with filo dough check out this recipe – Cremeschnitten without fillo dough. This recipe is for experienced bakers, if you are a baking beginner we recommend not to make the filo dough Cremeschnitte. Happy Baking!
2 packages filo dough for pastries
800 ml milk
200 g sugar
vanilla flavor: 1-2 tsp pure liquid vanilla or 1 package vanilla sugar Dr Oetker – How to make Vanilla Sugar
2 packages Dr Oetker Vanilla Pudding – How to make Vanilla Pudding –
7 slices gelatin (transparent, unflavored, unsweetened) or gelatin powder
1 tablespoon Knox of unflavored gelatin powder = 1 sheet of Perfectagel gold gelatin sheets
500 ml heavy cream
4 tbsp dark rum or rum flavor (non-alcoholic)
Cake ring rectangle shape
– Place filo dough on a baking tray and with a fork pinch it several times.
– Place in pre-heated oven on 390 C and bake until the dough is light brown.
Do the same with the second filo dough.
– Make the pudding per instructions if you use the pudding from Dr Oetker or make it from scratch – Go to the recipe: How to make vanilla pudding
– Soak gelatin in cold water.
– Place cooked pudding in a bowl and add the gelatin, rum and vanilla flavor.
– Place the bowl in cold water and stir it until the creme is cold.
– Beat heavy cream until firm.
– The pudding needs to get firm (with the help of the gelatin), so when it does fold in the whipped cream.
– place a rectangle cake ring around a filo dough; you can place the dough also in a suitable cake form and cut it so it fits, a casserole form can work too. A baking tray won’t work because it is too flat.
– Fill the vanilla cream on top of the filo dough.
– Cut the second filo dough vertical and then in 14 rectangles of the same size.
– Place the rectangles on top of the cream.
– Place in the fridge for several hours until the cream is firm so you can remove the ring.
– Before serving dust with powdered sugar. You might want to make smaller pieces by cutting the cake with a sharp knife.
How to make Filo Dough
The marrow bone dumpling soup, or as we call it “Markklösschensuppe”, is a classic German soup that you will love. The soup consists of two parts which is the beef broth and the marrow bone dumplings. Enjoy this soup as the starter for a festive menu or just as a main dish – Happy Cooking!
500 g stewing beef (osso bucco)
2 thicker marrow beef bones
vegetable for the broth: 1 leek, 2 carrots, 1 bay leave, 1/2 celery root or stems, parsley root
6 peppercorns, 3 cloves, 1 smaller onion
1.5 Liter cold water
4 tbsp chopped parsley
50 g bread crumbs, natural, without spices
40 g marrow (beef)
1/2 roll (preferably German style)
salt, pepper and fresh grated nutmeg to taste
chopped chives for the broth
Make the Broth
– Remove the marrow from the bones, and keep in a small pan.
– Wash and cut leek, celery, carrots, parsley root in rough pieces.
– Poke cloves into the peeled onion.
– Place bones and meat in a pan with about 1.5-2 liter cold purified water. Bring to a brief boil, then reduce heat to low.
– Add the veggies, bay leave, peppercorns, and onion, and let simmer on low heat for about 2-3 hours, depending on the meat.
– Should there be foam remove foam with a slotted spoon.
– Remove bones and meat from the broth, drain the broth and spice with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Make the Dumplings
– Cut the bone marrow into small pieces and melt it in the pan. Let cool off a bit.
– Soak the roll in water, then when it’s saturated squeeze the water out.
– Combine roll with egg, breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp chopped parsley and the melted marrow.
– Spice with a hint of nutmeg.
– Bring the broth to a boil.
– Make 1 dumpling and test it in the boiling broth. It it won’t fall apart, form small dumplings with the dough. Would the dumpling fall apart, add more breadcrumbs.
– The dumplings are done when they swim at the surface.
– Let them simmer in the broth for 10 min.
Add chopped chives to the broth and serve it with the dumplings.
Tip: You want to get a clear broth, so never have the broth boiling or it will get milky.