The round orange Pumpkin has many variations in the German cuisine, and one usage is to make a compote, or "Kompott" as we say in German. You practically can make compote with the most fruit. The Pumpkin Apple compote is a sweet dish and it is served in Germany often with German Griessbrei (Semolina Pudding), Rice Pudding, or Vanilla Pudding. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Pumpkin Apple Compote
1 lb pumpkin pieces
1/2 liter water
4-5 tbsp sugar
zest of 1/2 lemon (organic)
some lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
4-5 tbsp apple vinegar
Cooking Instructions Pumpkin Apple Compote
- Cut the pumpkin meat in regular pieces or ace out little round balls with a spoon.
- Peel apples, remove core and cut in small pieces. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
- Bring the water with the vinegar, sugar, cloves, cinnamon stick and the lemon peel to a boil, add the pumpkin pieces.
- Cook until the pumpkin pieces are semi soft (time depends on the kind of pumpkin you are using).
- Add the apple pieces (less cooking time than pumpkin).
- When fruit is soft enough remove from stove, let cool off.
- Remove cinnamon stick and cloves; add more sugar if it is not sweet enough.
Serve cold or warm.
picture source: chefkoch.de
How to peel, seed and cut a pumpkin