The German Potato gratin can be served as a side or a main dish together with a salad like lettuce. You can vary the cheese as you like. For this recipe we used a mix of Swiss cheese and Pepper Jack which added a little spicy taste. If you don’t like this cheese combination use Gruyere or Cheddar. Because the potato gratin does not contain any vegetable you can serve it with your favorite vegetable, and/or German hamburgers. This gratin tastes delicious because you boil the potatoes in milk. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Potato Gratin
3/4 l milk
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
1 tbsp butter
150 g grated cheese (Gruyere, Gouda or your favorite cheese)
1/4 l heavy cream
Cooking Instructions Potato Gratin
– Peel potatoes and slice them thin.
– Bring milk with salt, pepper and nutmeg and butter to a boil, then add the potato slices.
– On low heat let it simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
– Grease a fire proof form with butter.
– Mix heavy cream with grated cheese, add some salt an pepper (if you want add 2 garlic cloves, crushed).
– Place the potatoes with a slotted spoon into the form.
– Pour cheese-cream mix on top and add some more grated cheese on top.
– Pre-heat oven to 375F (200 C) and bake potatoes for about 15 minutes until the surface is slightly golden brown.
Serve with lettuce.