The German Potato dumplings from the Pfalz – or in English “The Palatinate” comes from Latin Palātium, and means palace; and in the region itself they call it in their dialect: Palz).
There is another word for it in German that is Rheinpfalz, and it is a region in South-Western Germany and connects to the river Rhine. It occupies more than a quarter of the German federal state (Bundesland) of Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz). This Bundesland is famous for its wines and a street that is called the German Weinstrasse – the German Wine route – a wonderful and sight-seeing road that goes along the wineries through the Pfalz. You have cities such as Kaiserslautern, Speyer, Pirmasens or Neustadt an der Weinstrasse. The Wine Route is a touristic attraction. So if you plan to go to Germany, it is a Must-see. This potato dumpling dish is a traditional recipe from this region. You should try it out and serve with your favorite gravy meat dish. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Potato Dumplings from the Pfalz
(for about 10 dumplings)
1 kg potatoes (soft, not waxy)
100 g semolina (wheat of cream or spelt, Griess in German)
100 g flour
salt, pepper to taste
1-2 tsp dry marjoram or to taste
2-3 tbsp parsley
There’s Nothing better than a German Meal!
Cooking Instructions Potato Dumplings from the Pfalz
– Boil the potatoes the day before as they should not be used on the same day; keep them for 1 day in the fridge or at a cool place.
– Peel boiled potatoes and squeeze them through a potato press.
– Add semolina, flour and eggs, chopped parsley and spices.
– Knead until you get a smooth dough so you can form the dumplings.
– With moist hands form dumplings, not too big. The amount that fits into the palm of your hand is just right.
– In a big pan bring water with some salt to a boil.
– Carefully place dumplings into the boiling water, lower the heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Dumplings will float on the surface when done.
– Carefully remove them with a slotted spoon.
– Serve the dumplings right away with Goulash, Beef Rouladen or any meat dish with a gravy (the gravy is very important).