This German egg dish – Poached eggs in Mustard Sauce – is coming from the good old times when meat was rare or too expensive. It’s a recipe from grandmothers cooking book and what do you know, it’s still popular. It’s called “Verlorene Eier” because the eggs have lost their shell. It used to be a very popular dish in the former DDR (East Germany). It’s a good combination, the poached eggs and the mustard sauce, rounded up with boiled potatoes (we recommend Gold potatoes). Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Poached Eggs in Mustard Sauce
1 small onion
40 g butter
40 g flour
500 ml water
3 tbsp German mustard eg Löwen Senf
– How to find the best German Mustard –
1 tsp lemon juice
4 fresh eggs
1 liter water
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt, pepper to taste
Cooking Instructions Poached Eggs in Mustard Sauce
– Chop onion fine.
– Melt butter, saute onion until transparent.
– Add flour, mix very well until you get a slightly yellowish substance. Then add 500ml cold water.
– Bring while mixing to a boil.
– Add mustard and lemon juice, spice with salt and pepper to taste.
– Bring 1 liter water to a boil, add vinegar and 1 tsp salt.
– Crack one egg in a cup.
– Very carefully let egg slide into the boiling water. Repeat with each egg.
– Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 min.
– Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place on a plate.
Serve the poached eggs with the mustard sauce and boiled potatoes.
This recipe is using a lot of water. Always make sure that you use purified and good water. I recommend the Berkey filter which I use since a long time and it’s the best water I ever had, and I tried many filter systems! I use all water that I need for cooking from this filter. The coffee and tea tastes better, the drinking water has no weird after taste anymore. The good thing is, it is portable. So 100 percent hassle free. No special connections needed. And they have good deals. Check it out!
You can add any German mustard or make a mix out of hot and mild mustard.
Add 1 tbsp vinegar to the sauce.
Use instead of onions German speck (bacon) or use both, onions and Speck.
If you feel you can’t poach the eggs so that they won’t fall apart, we recommend to use an egg poaching tool.