Today learn how to make the Pan Roasted Schaschlik Skewers. In a different recipe we showed how to barbecue them, a different recipe is about how to make Schaschlik as a pot roast dish. It’s a Eastern dish which has gained a lot of popularity in Germany. You can find it in special Turkish street food places but also on the menu of local German restaurants. Happy Cooking!
Pot Roast Schaschlick Recipe
Barbecue Schaschlick Skewers
Ingredients Pan Roasted Schaschlik Skewers
(serves 4, about 10-12 skewers)
500-600 g stew meat, pork or beef or a mix
100 g smoked Speck (bacon), not lean, must have some fat
2-3 med sized onions
2 tbsp oil (or more)
paprika powder, mild
lemon pepper or black pepper, salt to taste
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 splash of white wine
1 splash Balsamic vinegar
250 ml ketchup
2 tbsp barbecue sauce
1 dash sugar
as needed some instant beef broth
2 red pepper
1 tbsp potato or corn starch
Cooking Instructions Pan Roasted Schaschlik Skewers
– Cut Speck in slices, onions in small quarters, meat in cubes.
– Stick meat, speck and onions on skewers.
– Mix oil and spices until you get a paste. Spread the paste all over the skewers and let rest in fridge for 24 hours (or at least overnight).
– In a skillet heat oil, brown skewers on all sides. Don’t brown them all at one time.
– Remove skewers, add tomato paste and white wine. Stir, then add Balsamico, ketchup and barbecue sauce.
– Do the taste test: If it is too sour add some sugar, if it tastes too much like ketchup, add some instant broth.
– Place skewers into sauce and let simmer on low heat covered for 1,5-2hrs. Turn skewers every 30 min. Meat is done when it is very soft. Place on a platter.
– Mix starch with cold white wine (or water), add to sauce. You should get a thick sauce.
– Pour sauce over the skewers and serve with French Fries.
Schaschlik tastes the best with Speck but it also has the highest calories. You can omit the Speck if you like.