This Bavarian Cream dessert is not just enjoyable during the Munich Oktoberfest time where you can get it on the Wies’n. It makes a wonderful summer dessert by using fresh raspberries.
The dessert is similar to the Italian dessert “Pannacotta” and was created by chef cook Marie-Antoine Carême in the 19th century. It is also called “Crème Bavaroise or just Bavarois”.
The recipe is using sheet gelatin which is not easy to be found in the USA. Use this Conversion:
1 (0.25 oz.) envelope granulated gelatin = 1 tablespoon [(15 ml)] powdered gelatin = 3 sheets leaf gelatin – Happy Cooking!
1/2 liter milk
2 vanilla beans
6 sheets gelatin
4 egg yolks
100 g sugar
1/2 liter heavy cream
500 g raspberries, fresh or frozen
some powdered sugar
alternatively use strawberries
– Combine sugar and egg yolks in a bowl.
– Mix well until creamy.
– Soak gelatin in cold water.
– Cut the vanilla bean open and remove with a knife by scratching out the seeds.
– Combine vanilla seeds with milk in a pan and warm it. Don’t bring to a boil.
– Press all water out of the gelatin and add to the milk. Mix well.
– Add to the egg cream, mix well.
– Beat heavy cream until firm. Then fold into the dessert cream. This must be done before the dessert gets firm.
– Fill the cream into a bowl or small dessert bowls.
– Place in fridge for 2-3 hours.
– Puree raspberries with a stick mixer.
– Press the sauce through a sieve so all seeds stay in the sieve. We don’t want them in the sauce. – See also Peach melba Dessert –
– Finally add some powdered sugar to the sauce (also use a sieve).
– You add the raspberry sauce to the dessert after it has completely cooled.