The old fashioned tomato soup is a classic and authentic German recipe as it was used by my grandmother. You would add rice to this soup which is a great combination with tomatoes. Important is to use ONLY ripe tomatoes to make this soup.
Alternatively you can use peeled tomatoes from the can but without any salt or spices added. Try this soup and you will make it over and over. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Old Fashioned Tomato Soup
2 kg ripe tomatoes
1 small celery root
1 small onion
100 g tomato paste
2 l broth (chicken or vegetable) – How to make Vegetable Broth –
(alternatively you can use instant broth cubes)
2 garlic gloves
1 twig fresh rosemary, basil, and oregano (or dried)
1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
salt, pepper to taste
200 ml heavy cream
2 tbsp butter
100 g rice, long grain
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
Cooking Instructions Old Fashioned Tomato Soup
– Cut leek, carrot and celery in small slices, chop onions fine.
– Peel garlic and mash it.
– Quarter tomatoes and remove stem part.
– Heat butter and cook the vegetable for 1-2 minutes.
– Add tomato paste to the tomatoes after 1 minute.
– While stirring bring to a boil, then reduce heat, let simmer for 10 minutes.
– Add broth, sugar, herbs, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 45-60 min.
– Cook rice per instructions.
– Pour soup through a sieve, with a wooden spoon squeeze all ingredients through the sieve. Or puree with a stick mixer.
– Add rice, then heavy cream, bring to a brisk boil.
– Spice as needed with salt, pepper and chopped parsley.
This Soup is in the German Delicatessen Box!