The holidays are the time for a popular drink in Germany, time for egg liquor (contains alcohol). We found an old fashioned egg liquor recipe that is super easy to make. It can be a bit difficult to find this delicious liquor in the USA. That’s why we posted this recipe. Happy Cooking!
(For 1 liter)
8 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean
500 ml milk
325 g powdered sugar
200 ml Vodka, brandy or dark rum
– Beat egg yolks very well in a bowl.
– Remove seeds from vanilla bean, add to egg yolks.
– Combine with milk and powdered sugar.
– Fill a pan with some water, it should be so big that the bowl will fit into. That’s the double boiler method.
– Using this method to make the cream: Mix continuously and make sure nothings sticks on the bottom of the bowl.
IMPORTANT: Never bring it to a boil!
– Remove pan from the heat, mix until it has cooled off completely.
– Add the alcohol.
– Sieve it twice to filter any firm egg parts.
– Fill in clean glass bottles and keep in the fridge; it will last to 2 months.