If you like apple cakes then you must try this German Old Fashioned Apple Cake. Authentic German recipe. It does not need any special ingredients so you can make it any day. Enjoy this cake with a cup of coffee or tea, and serve it with whipped cream or a warm Vanilla Sauce with some vanilla ice cream – Recipe How to Make Vanilla Sauce –
You can add a frosting on top or just dust it with powdered sugar.Happy Baking!
Ingredients Old Fashioned Apple Cake
375 g flour
1 tbsp baking powder
180 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
dash of salt
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
180 g cold butter
2-3 ladyfinger cookies
some flour for rolling the dough
1 ¼ kg apples
30 g raisins
30 g chopped almonds
1 dash cinnamon
100 g powdered sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
Cooking Instructions Old Fashioned Apple Cake
– Mix flour and baking powder in a bowl.
– Make a mold in the middle, add sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and egg into the mold.
– Place the chopped butter around the flour; then mix it first with a mixer and kneading hooks; afterwards use hands to knead it until it is smooth.
– Wrap the dough in plastic or aluminum foil and place in the fridge for 30-60 min.
– Peel apples, remove seeds, cut in quarters, then in small pieces.
– Mix apples, raisins, almonds and cinnamon.
– Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
– Take dough and knead it again a little bit, then take 2/3 of the dough and roll it to a round plate (about 32 cm diameter)
– Place parchment paper into a form; add the dough and form a 2 inch high edge all around.
– Crumble the ladyfingers and place the crumbles on the dough.
– Add apple filling on top.
– Roll remaining dough and place it on top of the filling or cut stripes and add them like a grid on top of the filling.
– With a fork press the edges of the dough to the form.
– Bake cake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes.
– Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until you get a thick liquid.
– After the cake is done spread the frosting on the warm top.
Enjoy the cake with unsweetened whipped cream and a cup of coffee or tea!