Obatzter, an authentic Bavarian Cheese Specialty, or also called Obatzda or Obazda, which means squeeze or mashed, is a popular Bavarian snack together with a glass of beer and a pretzel. Every beer garden in Bavaria serves this dish, we are now able to present to you the recipe so you can make it at home.Enjoy it with a bottle or glass of German beer. The Obatzter is a famous dish at the Oktoberfest.
The recipe got known in the 1920s when host Katharina Eisenreich started to serve the snack in her "Braeustueberl" (beer pub) in Freising. Since then the recipes is a typical Bavarian specialty. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Obatzter - Bavarian Cheese Specialty
1 ripe Camembert cheese (50% fat)
1 small onion (chopped)
mild paprika powder (Hungarian Paprika)
araway seeds to taste (don't use too many as they have a strong taste)
15-30 g butter
1/4 cup light beer (lager)
optional: 1 boiled egg (chopped)
Cooking Instructions Obatzter - Bavarian Cheese Specialty
- use warm butter and whisk it until foamy.
- chop cheese, onions and boiled egg very fine.
- spice with paprika, salt, pepper; add caraway seeds and beer.
- mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- serve it warm with a German pretzel or German buns (bread) - that's all. It's that easy.
You can serve the onions also aside, as shown on the photo.