Nussecken – English recipe – is a classic German pastry that you can buy in Germany in every bakery. You might find the Nussecken in special German stores or bakeries in other countries.
Nevertheless this pastry is not that difficult to make. With this recipe you will get some German baking tradition into your home. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Nussecken English Recipe
(for 25-30 pieces)
225 g flour all purpose
1 tsp baking powder (Dr Oetker)
100 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.3 oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
2 tbsp water (or a bit more)
100 g cold butter, unsalted
150 g butter
150 g sugar
2 packages vanilla sugar, 0.6 oz
3 tbsp water
100 g hazelnuts, ground
200 g hazelnuts, chopped fine
3 tbsp apricot jam or jam of your choice
Glaze: 100 g dark chocolate
Baking Instructions Nussecken English Recipe
– Mix flour with baking powder in a bowl.
– Add remaining dough ingredients and mix with kneading hooks first on low speed than on high speed. Or use your hands by mixing all ingredients on a baking surface (board).
– Form the dough to a roll, wrap it in transparent foil and keep for 30 min in the fridge.
– For the topping melt butter with sugar, vanilla sugar and water in a pot, add the ground and chopped hazelnuts. – Let cool off for about 10 min.
You can roast the hazelnuts lightly in a non-stick pan without any grease; this adds a nice nutty taste.
If you cannot get ground hazelnuts, chop them roughly, then grind in a coffee grinder.
– Roll the dough on a sheet of baking paper that is sprinkled with flour; when dough is rolled place it on the baking tray. Thickness of the dough: 1/4 inch – it needs to be thin!
– Adjust the dough to the baking form if needed.
– Spread the jam evenly on top, then add the nut topping.
– Bake in pre-heated oven for 25 min on 180 C or 356 F.
– When Nussecken are done let cool off on a cooling rack for about 20 min.
– Cut in small squares first (5×5 inches), then cut in the middle so you get triangles.
– For the glaze chop chocolate roughly and melt it in double boiler. Dip the corners of the triangles into the chocolate. Let dry on the cooling rack or on parchment paper.