The marrow bone dumpling soup is a classic German soup that you will love. The soup consists of two parts which is the beef broth and the marrow bone dumplings. Enjoy this soup as the starter for a festive menu or just as a main dish – Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Marrow Bone Dumpling Soup
50 g bread crumbs
40 g marrow (beef)
1/2 roll (preferably German style)
2 tbsp chopped parsley
salt, pepper and fresh grated nutmeg to taste
Cooking Instructions Marrow Bone Dumpling Soup
– Cook the bone first in water with some salt.
– Remove marrow from the bones, in a pan flatten it with a fork and melt it on mild heat, let cool off a bit.
– Beat the marrow foamy, add bread crumbs, parsley and egg, mix well – you should get a dough that can be formed.
– Add spices (nutmeg can be used more than usual).
– Bring the broth to a boil.
– Form little dumplings and place them into the boiling broth, remove from stove and let them in the broth until they swim at the surface.
– Sprinkle the soup with chopped parsley.
Make the Beef Broth
250 g beef bones, small
1 onion, medium
2 celery stalks and 1/2 celery root
6 black pepper corns
1 bay leave
500 g stewing beef (osso bucco) – this is optional
Cooking Instructions Beef Broth
– Place the bones in cold water, bring to a brisk boil; then rinse bones with cold water. This inhibits that the broth will become milky. We want a clear broth.
– Peel and cut onion in half, poke the cloves into the onion.
– Chop celery stalks and root, carrot roughly.
– In a big pot place 2-2.5 liter cold water, add the bones and the meat, bring slowly to a boil. With a slotted spoon remove the foam.
– Add celery, carrot, bay leave, pepper corns.
– Let simmer on low heat until the meat is soft which can take 2-3 hours.
Tip: Never have the broth boiling or it will get milky.