It looks like you found a German recipe that is using quark as an ingredients, and you cannot find quark in your supermarket. There is a solution, an easy solution: Make quark at home from scratch. It is not impossible. Why should you miss these delicious German recipes that need quark? Learn today how you can make quark.
Things you need:
– A big sized pot
– 1 gallon whole milk and 1/2 cup buttermilk
– 1/2 rennet tablet (see photo)
– Clean cotton dish towel or cheese cloth
– Pour milk in a large pot, and warm it slowly to room temperature. It should not get too warm.
– Dissolve the rennet tablet.
– Stir well and put a lid on the pot.
(do not disturb the mix by stirring anymore).
– Leave the milk-mix out on the counter at room temperature for about 24 hours. After that the milk will have curdled and separated from the whey.
– Place a large colander in your sink and line the colander with a thin and clean cotton dish towel. Make sure the whole colander is lined with the towel.
Do not use cheese cloth because it is too thin.
– Pour the curd and whey into the colander, then set the colander onto your pot so the whey can drip through the towel.
– Put a lid on the quark, then fold the towel edges on top of the lid. Put the pot with the dripping colander in the refrigerator for about 24 hours, then the quark is ready to use.
1 gallon of milk will give you about 2 lbs of quark.
If you are looking for a substitute for quark we have an article about it – GO TO THE ARTICLE –
Now you are ready to make the popular German cheese cake!
Click here to Go to the Recipe for German Cheese Cake