Make quark at home so you can use it for all these delicious German recipes that are requiring quark.
How do you make Quark?
Things you need:
a big pot
1 gallon whole milk and 1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 rennet tablet (see photo)
clean cotton dish towel
- Pour milk in a large pot, and warm it slowly to room temperature. It should not get too warm.
- dissolve the rennet tablet.
- Stir well and put a lid on the pot.
(do not disturb the mix by stirring anymore).
- Leave the milk-mix out on the counter at room temperature for about 24 hours. After that the milk will have curdled and separated from the whey.
- Place a large colander in your sink and line the colander with a thin and clean cotton dish towel. Make sure the whole colander is lined with the towel.
Do not use cheese cloth because it is too thin.
- Pour the curd and whey into the colander, then set the colander onto your pot so the whey can drip through the towel.
- Put a lid on the quark, then fold the towel edges on top of the lid. Put the pot with the dripping colander in the refrigerator for about 24 hours, then the quark is ready to use.
1 gallon of milk will make about 2 lbs of quark.
Now you are ready to make the best German cheese cake!
Click here to Go to the Recipe for Cheese Cake