German Christmas Cookies need sometimes special ingredients. There are many German Christmas cookie recipes that need Orangeat and Zitronat – which is candied orange or lemon peel – such as Dresdner Stollen, Aachener Printen and Gingerbread. You can get it in the USA but many products contain chemical preservatives and/or high fructose corn syrup. So please avoid these products as they may alter the authentic taste.
We found some alternatives for home made orangeat and zitronat on Amazon (see below the recipe)
Make Candied Lemon Orange Peel
Organic oranges or lemons
salt and sugar
– Peel oranges not too thin but don’t use the white part of the skin, it is okay to have here and there some white parts but not a lot because the white part is bitter.
– Cut them in thick stripes.
– Place them into a pot, add enough water and boil them for 10 minutes. Weigh them.
– Remove water (drain); add 250 ml water and add same amount of sugar.
– On low heat let peels simmer for 40-60 minutes until you have a thick syrup, and the peel looks transparent and is soft.
– Drain them, take them out with a slotted spoon and if you want sprinkle them with sugar, then place them on a baking grid over night.
– The next day cut them in small cubes.
– Fill in a jar, close with a lid and keep cool.
To make candied lemon peel follow the same procedure.