The dish Liver Berlin Style is a classic meal from Germany's capital Berlin. It is using veal liver with fried apple and onion rings, and will be served with mashed potatoes, red cabbage or carrots. The original is using liver from the calf but you could also use pork or beef liver. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Liver Berlin Style
800 g potatoes
150 ml milk
2 tbsp butter
black pepper, salt to taste
fresh ground nutmeg
4 slices veal liver, each piece about 150 g, without skin
3 apples such as Gala, Braeburn
2 medium onions
some flour, clarified butter, sunflower oil, butter, 1/2 tsp sugar, black pepper
Cooking Instructions Liver Berlin Style
- Peel potatoes, cut in quarters.
- Boil them in water with some salt until they are soft.
- Drain, let cool off a bit, mash potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 175 F.
- Bring milk with butter, salt and nutmeg to a boil, mix with potatoes, spice if needed. Keep potatoes warm in the oven.
- Wash apples, peel them, remove core, and cut in 1cm thick slices. Dust them with some flour.
- Peel onions, cut into slices and saute in oil until golden brown, add salt and pepper.
- Saute apples in some butter, sprinkle with some sugar and let them caramelize.
- Cut each liver piece in half, turn in flour, gently pat liver so excess flour will fall off.
- Fry liver in clarified butter on each side for about 2 min. Spice with salt and pepper.
Serve the liver with apple and onion rings on top. Sprinkle with fresh grated pepper and some chopped parsley (optional).