Makes the Perfect pound or coffee cake: German Lemon Orange Sandkuchen. So easy to make, it just needs 25 min of your time.Happy Baking!
175g butter, very soft
1 organic lemon and 1 orange
1 package vanilla sugar
50g ground almonds (almond flour)
1 dash salt
50 g cornstarch
1 heaped tsp baking powder
9 tbsp fresh pressed lemon juice
5 tbsp fresh pressed orange juice
2tbsp white rum, optional or rum flavoring
150g powdered sugar
thin, fine peeled lemon stripes for decoration and/or lemon slices, mint leaves
– Grate lemon peel fine for making zest.
– Warm butter so it’s almost liquid. Combine with sugar, vanilla sugar and salt and mix until bubbly.
– Add lemon zest and orange flavoring, then eggs one after the other. Mix well until you get a creamy dough.
– Combine flour with starch and baking powder. Mix well. Add to the dough.
– Add 2 tbsp lemon and orange juice, and rum.
– Grease a loaf form 10 inches (content for 2 liter), dust with flour or layer with parchment paper.
– Fill in the dough. Bake in pre-heated oven 350 F for about 50 min. Cover cake after 30 min with parchment paper.
– Drizzle on top of cake 3 tbsp of each orange and lemon juice. Let cool off a bit.
– Release from form and let cool off.
– Mix powdered sugar with 4 tbsp lemon juice for the glaze.
– \Spread glaze evenly over the cake. and let dry.
– Dust with powdered sugar.