Leipziger Allerlei is a German Vegetable recipe that makes a delicious side dish. This German recipe is an original recipe from the German city Leipzig that you will love.
Leipziger Allerlei contains of fresh peas, carrots, asparagus, mushrooms or morels. You also can add green beans, cauliflower, or kohlrabi. The classic recipe adds additionally river shrimps and shrimp butter. But it is not necessary at all to add crabs and crab butter which is hard to get in the USA.
The photo shows the recipe with shrimps though. I like this recipe because it has this variety of vegetables and that’s why it is a great side dish for any meat dishes with a gravy or not. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Leipziger Allerlei
1 small cauliflower
250 g of each: white asparagus – green beans – green peas (fresh or frozen)
250 g carrots (small ones)
250 g mushrooms or morels (fresh or dried)
50 g butter
30 g flour
½ liter vegetable broth (instant organic cubes) or the cooking water from the vegetables
3 tbsp heavy cream, 25 g butter
salt, nutmeg, sugar, white pepper (optional: parsley, chervil)
Cooking Instructions Leipziger Allerlei
– Wash the vegetable.
– Break cauliflower apart.
– Peel asparagus and cut in 2 inches pieces.
– Clean beans and cut them in smaller pieces.
– Peel fresh peas; cut carrots in smaller pieces.
– Wash slice mushrooms. If you use dried mushrooms prepare them per instructions (soak in water).
– Boil every vegetable separate in water (with some salt added) until the vegetable is somewhat soft (al dente, that means it needs to be a bit crunchy).
– Drain the boiled vegetable and keep it warm (Cover with foil).
– Melt butter and add flour, stir continuously to avoid clump building, then add vegetable broth and bring to a brief boil. Reduce heat to low.
– Add heavy cream and butter, spice with salt, nutmeg, white pepper to taste and a dash of sugar.
– Now combine the vegetable with the sauce.
– Serve in a warm bowl or on a warm platter. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and/or chervil.
Serve it with your favorite meat dish.