Koenigsberger Meatballs are, as the name says, from the city of Koenigsberg of former East Prussia. The recipe is about 200 years old. The meatballs or in German “Klopse” are served in a white gravy with capers, and are made out of ground meat such as from veal, beef or pork. Some add also anchovy paste. If you don’t like the capers, you would just not use them.
The meatballs must be cooked in a broth (some add vinegar and white wine to the broth too). Serve with side dishes such as boiled potatoes, rice and pickled red beets. Happy Cooking!
200g ground beef
200g ground pork
2 tbsp bread crumbs (all natural, no spices)
1 medium size onion
salt, pepper to taste
Broth (where you boil the meatballs)
1 liter beef broth (clear) instant or homemade – How to make German Beef Broth –
salt, 1 onion, 1 bay leave, 3 pimento corns, 3 pepper corns
3 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice,
0,38 liter broth, 1/8 liter heavy cream, capers, 1 egg yolk, salt, pepper, parsley
– Chop onion finely, soak roll in water. When soaked press all water out of the roll before you add it to the meat in small pieces.
– Mix meat with onions, eggs, salt, pepper and roll until you get a smooth meat dough.
– Add the bread crumbs.
– Form meatballs, not too big and not too small (diameter about 2 inches)
– Make the broth from scratch or use organic instant broth.
– Add chopped onion and spices to the broth.
– Heat the broth and add more salt if needed.
– Place the meat balls into the broth and let them cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Remove laurel leave, pepper and pigment corns; let meat balls in the broth for another 10 minutes.
– Take them out and keep warm.
– Heat butter and add flour while stirring, it should not get brown.
– Add broth, continue stirring until the liquid is combined with the flour and gets thick. Add drained capers and heavy cream.
– Add lemon juice, salt, pepper to taste.
– Don’t bring the sauce to a boil anymore, have heat reduced to the lowest temperature.
– Mix in egg yolk, then place meatballs into the sauce.
Serve with boiled potatoes or white rice. Decorate it with some parsley leaves.