The Italian Plum Streusel Cake is a classic German cake and very popular throughout Germany. For this recipe you would use Italian or Damson plums, we call them in German Zwetschgen.
Streusel (or Crumble) Cakes in general can be bought in every bakery. Instead of plums you can use apricots or sour cherries. The dough of this recipe is made with yeast. You can get yeast dry or fresh in a a square block. Mostly dry yeast is sold in the USA.
Ingredients Italian Plum Streusel Cake
Make Yeast Dough
125 ml milk
20 g yeast fresh or dry yeast for 300 g flour
300 g wheat flour
50 g sugar
2 egg yolk
2 tbsp almond liquor (optional)
1 dash salt
the seeds of 1 vanilla bean
1 tsp grated lemon peel (zest)
50 g soft butter
butter and flour to make and roll the dough
2kg Italian plums (no pits), 40 gr sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Make the Streusel (Crumble)
125 g flour, 100 g superfine sugar (Castor sugar), 100 g melted butter, 1 pinch salt, seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean or vanilla extract, 75 g almond slivers
Baking Instructions Italian Plum Streusel Cake
– Warm up the milk a bit and crumble in the yeast.
– Put flour in a bowl, add the yeast-milk, mix it with the egg yolk, sugar, almond liquor, salt, lemon peel and vanilla bean.
– Knead it, add the soft butter.
– Knead until you get a smooth dough (best is to use hands for kneading).
– Let the dough rise at a warm place for 30 minutes.
– Spread the melted butter evenly on a deep baking tray, and evenly dust flour over the tray.
– Take the dough and roll it until you get a thin layer (the area needs to be dusted with flour all the time) which you place on the buttered baking tray.
– While the dough is rising wash the plumes, cut in halves and remove pits. With a sharp knife cut every plum vertically but don’t cut through completely.
– Mix sugar and cinnamon.
– Place plums on the dough closely together, sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mix.
– For the Streusel mix all Streusel ingredients (but not the almond slivers) together, and with the hands form crumbles, add the almond slivers and mix.
– Spread the Streusel evenly over the prunes.
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Let cake rise for another 30 minutes.
– Bake for 30-40 minutes until a golden color.
– Cut it into small squared pieces and enjoy it with a cup of coffee or as desert with some whipped cream on top.