Many German soups and dishes use as a base a vegetable broth which can be packaged, instant or home made. We prefer instant or home made and that’s why today we show you how to make a home made vegetable broth. It is so easy. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Home Made Vegetable Broth
2 liter water
1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
200 g carrots
1 garlic clove, optional
2 small onions
1/2 celery root
10 branches parsley
4 branches thyme
10 pepper corns
2 bay leaves
Cooking Instructions Home Made Vegetable Broth
- Cut all vegetables in cubes or small pieces. You can peel onions and garlic but you don’t have to.
- Heat oil, brown vegetable briefly.
- Cut thyme and parsley in pieces, add to veggies. Saute for 1 min.
- Add water, bring to a brief boil. Reduce heat. Remove foam with a ladle.
- If no more foam is occurring add the spices, bay leaves, cloves.
- Let simmer for 60 min.
- Pour the broth through a sieve, press the cooked vegetable through the sieve as well (it should be a fine sieve). The broth can cook a little longer to get more flavorful.
- Fill the broth into jars and keep them in the fridge (good for 2-3 weeks). Or freeze the broth (good for 6 months in the freezer), use ice cubes containers for small portions.
Use the home made vegetable broth for example to make the German Flaedle Soup – Go to the RECIPE Flaedle Soup –