The German Walnut Cake is a cake for any occasion and is also called Gugelhupf which is Bundt cake in English. It can be for the holidays, birthdays or for the coffee and cake Sunday afternoon. Try this German Walnut Cake with a lemon glaze which is easy to make.It is very easy to make. If you don’t have a bundt cake form or Guglhupf form you can use a normal spring form but the cake will be a flat cake.
Ingredients German Walnut Cake
150 g walnuts (use 16 whole nuts and the rest would be chopped)
120 g butter
120 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
dash of salt
3 eggs (separated)
120 g flour
3 tbsp semolina flour
2 tbsp baking powder Dr Oetker
150 g powdered sugar and juice of 1 lemon
1 Gugelhupf baking form (content 1.5l)
Baking Instructions German Walnut Cake
1. Grease the Gugelhupf form and lay it out with 16 whole walnuts; chop remaining walnuts coarsely. Mix butter with
70g sugar and salt salt until creamy.
2. Add egg yolks. Mix flour with semolina, baking powder, and the chopped walnuts, and stir into the egg batter. Peel apples and grate them coarsely. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. Add apples to the dough. Beat egg white with remaining sugar until firm, then mix it with the dough. Fill the dough into the Gugelhupf form and bake it for 55 – 65 minutes on 350 F.
4. Some minutes before the cake is done prepare the glaze by mixing powdered sugar with the lemon juice.
5. Remove cake from oven and, while it is hot, spread the lemon glaze evenly over the cake.