The German Waldorf salad is a great German salad served as side dish or appetizer. The combination of apples and celery is just nice. It is a famous recipe that originally came from America but has found many fans in Germany as well.
The celery root is an interesting vegetable and is being used a lot in the German kitchen. We add it to the broths and you can make salads and little burgers out of it. It has an interesting taste, somehow a nutty taste. The celery root can be combined with apples, walnuts, or lettuce which is a variation of the famous Waldorf Salad.
1 medium sized celery root (also called called celeriac), 1lb
1 large apple or 2 smaller ones, red and not too sweet
Herbs: 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley, 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup home made or organic high quality mayonnaise
100 ml apple vinegar
50 g walnuts (chopped)
salt, black pepper to taste
– Peel apples, remove core, cut pieces in 1/4 inch (or thinner) slices or cubes.
– Peel the celery root, grate it with a grater or boil it for 3 minutes in salt water, then drain and cut very fine.
– Mix mayonnaise, sour cream apple vinegar, dill, parsley, salt and black pepper to taste (in a large salad bowl).
– Combine grated celery with dressing, mix gently – let sit for 20-30 minutes.
– Add apples and walnuts. Mix well.
– Decorate with 1-2 whole walnuts and chopped parsley.
Drip some lemon juice over the apples. This prevents them from becoming brown.